Monday, March 10, 2014

YOU GOTTA MAKE THIS! Chicken And Dumpling Soup

Well folks, it's Monday and the Mister of the house isn't feeling so hot.  Not much gets him down, so when didn't get up and go to work this morning, I knew this wasn't the normal "blah" day.  He is your "go to" guy for everything- you know the type - the one who plows you out first in a snow storm and drops everything to help with whatever you need- always with a joke and a smile.  But today, it seemed like had no plans of doing anything except staying bundled up on the couch to sleep it off.  Seeing him still laying there as we headed off to school certainly unnerved the little mister of the house.  He looked looked at his dad and then at me and said, "WE need to take care of him.  HE NEEDS US, mom!"

So today's post will be a tried and true recipe to fill your belly and warm your soul.  Since we had a roast chicken dinner last night, I figured it would be the perfect time to make chicken and dumpling soup.  Here's a little tidbit about me- I've never been a fan of chicken noodle soup.  I just never have found it to be hearty enough- that, and I can't personally stand noodles in my soup.  If you do like noodles in your soup, by all means, substitute them for the dumplings.  I just don't care for a thin, broth style soup.  I prefer soups that are a little creamier and this one is just creamy enough without being heavy.  Cooking is all a matter of personal taste, so always feel free to modify recipes to suit your palate or needs.  Unlike in baking, cooking recipes are guidelines for the overall outcome.  If you see the recipe uses rosemary (my favorite) and you hate rosemary, then take it out.  Ultimately, you're the one who will be enjoying it and only you know what you like!

For the Stock/Soup:
Chicken carcass (Mine still had a good amount of meat. Feel free to buy a rotisserie chicken from the store, but watch the salt content.)
1 medium sized white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
2 c. Carrot (doesn't have to an exact measure)
3 stalks of celery
3 sprigs rosemary
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1 tsp. Thyme
Cornstarch (used to thicken the stock)

For the Dumplings:
2 c. AP flour
1 c. Milk
1 tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp melted butter

Prep time: 5 minutes or so to chop the veg
Cook Time:  3 hours to reduce, 45 minutes simmer (once strained) and 45 minutes to cook dumplings
TOTAL TIME: About 4.5 hours  (BUT IT'S WORTH IT, TRUST ME!)




Everybody in the pool!  (Making the stock.)


The first thing I did was to make the stock.  I placed the chicken carcass in first, then layered half the diced onion, half the carrots, all of the celery, the rosemary (but save one sprig for mincing and adding in later, two cloves of garlic, and enough water to cover it all, or about six cups.  I then let that boil for the next three hours until it was reduced by half.  Once the liquid had reduced, I strained everything through a colander, only reserving the liquid to go back in the pot.  To this golden liquid, I added the chicken meat I had picked off the carcass, the remaining veggies, the garlic, and the herbs.  I also diced up some red and green bell pepper for color and added nutrients.  Salt and pepper can be added to taste.  I did include measurements above, but truly, it you like more salt, then add more.  If you enjoy the kick of black pepper, then by all means, pour it in!  If you choose to omit the homemade stock route and opt for a ready made version from the store, I would definitely taste it before adding any additional salt.  Ready made versions tend to be loaded with sodium and I personally don't like to include much salt to my family's diet.  A pinch, however, will bring out the flavors of the ingredients.  You may also be wondering, "Why didn't she add celery to the soup after straining it?"  Again- personal taste.  While everyone in my house likes the taste of celery, we all prefer it raw.  Jackson and I love it with peanut butter (But that's a story for another day.).  
I then let this mixture simmer for another 45 minutes or so.  
Chicken and veggies added to the strained liquid. 


While the soup was simmering, I got to work making the dumplings.  They are quite easy and I actually found this recipe for them online, however, I did tweak it just a bit.  But they're so simple, even Jackson could help!  First, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.  Once you have the dry ingredients in the bowl, melt the butter and milk in the microwave for about 15 seconds and add the wet ingredients into the dry.  Be careful not to over mix this, as the dough can become tough if overworked.  




You'll also notice it's quite tacky, but rest assured, that will be remedied in the next step.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead several times until it forms a tighter ball.  REMEMBER- don't overwork the dough.  You'll regret it later if you do.  Then simply roll out to about 1/4" thick and cut into squares.  (I took one more step and gently rolled mine into balls, but you certainly don't have to.) 



Before you add in the dumplings, pour a small slurry into the soup.  (Equal parts cold water and cornstarch.)  This is just to thicken the stock just a tad more.  Remember, I like creamier soups, not stews!  I think for this pot of soup I made a slurry of 3 Tbsp each water and cornstarch.  It seemed to work out quite well.  I must admit, often when I cook, I don't measure, so I'm guessing on this one.  Usually everything is eyeballed and to taste.  Once it's thickened a bit, add in the dumplings!  Try to gently place them in a single layer, so they don't stick to themselves and become one big mass of  undercooked dough.   

This is what they should look like after about five minutes in the simmering soup:


With the dumplings added, you can let it simmer for another 45 minutes, or until the dough tastes cooked through and VOILA!  You have yourself a nice bowl of hearty, not heavy, soul warming chicken and dumpling soup.  Trust me, it's perfect on a cold Vermont night!

SO YUMMY... and Jackson approved!

So, why did I make my husband a pot of chicken and dumpling soup?  Well, believe it or not, there was some wisdom in grandma's teachings!  A bowl of chicken and noodle (or in this case, dumpling) soup boasts many beneficial health factors for remedying a cold.

 Five reasons to eat chicken soup when you’re sick: (from Health Navigator.org)

  1. Chicken contains an amino acid called cysteine. It thins out the mucous in the lungs making it easier to cough out.
  2. During times of infection, mucus can thicken into a moist, nutrient-rich environment that encourages growth of viruses and bacteria. Hot chicken soup vapors have been proven more effective than hot water vapors in cleaning the gunky mucus out of your nose.
  3. Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene. The body converts this into vitamin A, which helps prevent and fight off infections by enhancing the actions of white blood cells that destroy harmful bacteria and viruses.
  4. Onion, garlic and ginger are powerful immune-supportive spices. Onions contain quercetin, a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory. The active ingredient allicin in freshly crushed garlic works like a natural antibiotic. The major active ingredients in ginger are terpenes and oleoresin, which have antiseptic, and lymph-cleansing properties and also help improve circulation.
  5. Snuggling up and sipping on warm, chicken soup when you’re feeling sick can really lift your mood and help you feel better. This may actually be the most healing property of all!
Now, I don't know if it was the chicken soup, or being able to spend the day with his lovely wife (ahem, ahem), but the Mister of the house sure seemed to be feeling a bit better earlier.  Unfortunately, only time will tell what affect the soup had on him overall.  As his "doc," I've also prescribed him to drink a mug of hot water with honey, lemon, and cinnamon.  However, if the patient is unwilling... 

I told him that he needs to rest up now while he can!  Sugaring season is upon us and... Can it be so?  ANOTHER WINTER STORM?  The local news channels are predicting this one to be the biggest one of the season, which means many hours of plowing ahead  for the Mister!  Let's just hope he heeds my warnings now and takes care of himself before this cold gets the best of him.

Until next time, loves...

Hover to Pin